Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do the skates come pre-sharpened?
Answer: Yes, they come pre-sharpened. Further sharpening instructions are available on the sizing page and information sheet included in the packaging.
2. Do the skates fit true to size, same size as figure or stitched hockey boot?
Answer: Balance Blades are a plastic molded boot which is an entirely different fit from a Figure and Hockey skate boot. A leather or stitched skate boot is fitted specifically for a particular size. Balance Blades plastic molded boot may be larger depending on the child foot size.
Balance Blades is adjustable and has a range of sizes in order to fit the child throughout the learning process. As children's feet grow very fast it's best to avoid having to change sizes frequently which you will not have to do with the adjustable skate.
For this reason we do not accept returns, as well sale items and shipping fees are non-refundable. Please see return policy
Please be sure to choose correct sizing, if unsure send an email at email@example.com as we do not exchange, return or refund skates if wrong size selected.
3. When to initiate the transitional sharpening?
Answer: Once your child is skating confidently without a skate aid or (holding onto something that assist with skating...push aid, chair, pylon, hockey stick with both hands) is the time to start slowly sharpening down the front indentations. The indentations should be sharpened half way off during the first transitional sharpening and then all the way off on the final transitioned sharpening.
4. How do I adjust the skate sizing?
Answer: The skates adjust by four sizes and can be done by pushing the button on the side while pulling out the toe. Please see video
5. How do I buckle the top strap?
Answer: Please ensure you are depressing the buttons on each side before sliding the strap in and out for opening and closing. Please follow the video
6. Can Balance Blades be used during CanSkate and Snowplow Sam, learn to skate programs run by Skate Canada and Learn to Skate USA?
Answer: Yes, it is up to the parent.
The inventor of Balance Blades was a National Canadian Pairs Figure Skater and a Learn to Skate Canada, CanSkate Coach. He understands skating as much as any learn to skate coach in Canada or the USA.
The blade was specifically designed for beginners, to make it easier for learning to skate. The blade was placed on a plastic adjustable boot to make it more affordable to parents, so that they did not need to purchase a new pair of skates every year.
The blade has a Canada and U.S. patent.
There are other plastic adjustable boots on the market which have a very different blade.
Balance Blades is relatively new to the market. If any coach or learn to skate administration is recommending you to not use our skate, most likely they do not know about the features of Balance Blades. Most likely they see it as any other adjustable skate and place Balance Blades in the same category. Balance Blades is in a category of it's own.
Balance Blades have 4 blade features which makes it better then and any other beginner skate.
- Rear indentations to help prevent rear falls,
- Front indentations to assist with basic skill of standing up, standing in one place and pushing off,
- Flatter middle to make it easier for the child to balance on the ice and,
- Transitional sharpening phases that allow the parent the control to slowly remove the benefits provided by the blade during the sharpening process. The blade slowly changes back to a regular skate blade.
7. Where else do you sell Balance Blades?
Balance Blades is sold in Canadian Tire stores in Canada, which is an official partner with CanSkate, the flagship learn to skate program in Canada.
8. Do you offer discounts for large quantity orders?
Answer: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org